Saturday 7 April 2007

Ancient VS Present

Been back from Europe for over a week.

Just over a decade over when I first visited Europe, I was in awe by the punctuality and reliability of the train system and network. It was smooth and trains arrived and departed punctually. I had no problem with my free-and-easy itineraries at all. I was disappointed this time.

On my way from Munich to Rothenburg on a DB train (that belongs to the German train company), all the passengers were asked to disembark and wait for the next train that would arrive in 45 mins' time. It was disappointing and a total waste of time. To add salt to the wound, the subsequent connecting train did not leave on time. All in all, I wasted an hour's time.

On another occasion, another train I was waiting for and was supposed to bring me from Heidelberg to Frankfurt for a connection was 15 mins' late. I was uptight as I had a connection to make in Frankfurt. It was most fortunate that the driver managed to make up for lost time but only a bit. I managed to catch the connecting train but some of the other passengers were not that fortunate. A lot missed their connection. If I had missed mine, I would have to wait for a few hours for the next train to Brussels.

Alas, it had to happen a third time. The train from Brussels to Amsterdam was supposed to be a direct service but again, all the passengers were asked to disembark and board another train from another platform.

Fortunately all these incidents did not dampen my visit to Europe, whose palaces and museums are still peerless. When you marvel at some of the architecture, you can't help but think how they were built with little or no technology century/centuries ago. And I can't help conclude that those living in the past were more capable than those living in the present age.

You don't see many magnificent buildings or structures in the present age. Maybe the upcoming ferris-wheel in Singapore may be considered as grand and magnificient by a group of self-deceiving few who came up with the un-original idea of constructing and so dearly rooted for it. But they ought to know many cities have it many years ago and Osaka has it on top a building.

1 Comments:

Blogger I, Cactus said...

Buddy, i agree with you totally about Europe. It's so beautiful, the food, the architecture and the bread!!

How i wish i can spend a month there doing nothing.

15 April 2007 at 21:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home